Monday, December 8, 2014

#25) Cupressus macrocarpa 'Saligna Aurea'



While researching the cultivar 'Aurea' for class, I stumbled upon this beauty – a Golden Weeping Monterey Cypress. Apparently, it looks a little gangly when it is young, but with time, it becomes quite the specimen. There is one on Colusa Avenue that I've admired, and now I finally know what it is!

I was afraid that it might be a slow grower, but it's not – it's fast. It likes full sun, is drought-tolerant, and fits into my new favorite category of woodsy, sun-loving plants. I could see it as a background specimen, nestled between darker plants in back, and shorter broad-leafed plants in front. Agaves, aloes and yuccas could work nicely.



Devil Mountain carries the straight species, 'Saligna Aurea' (A), as well as 'Fine Gold' (B), which I've included here in case you were curious about it. 

Details:
Biological Name: Cupressus macrocarpa 'Aurea Saligna'
Common Name: Golden Weeping Monterey Cypress
Family: Cupressaceae
Origin: California (U.S.A.)
Exposure: Full Sun
Irrigation: Low Water Needs
Flower Time: Insignificant
Height: Over 40’
Width: 20’

No comments:

Post a Comment