Saturday, October 18, 2014

#6) Grevillea 'Long John'


I was drawn to this shrub at Berkeley Horticultural Nursery and attracted to its long upright branches, thin needle-like foliage, and cinnamon colored bark. And, I can't say I'm surprised to find out that this is a huge shrub (8-10' h x w). If I was ever at a loss for screening plants that take full sun, I am no longer.

To me, this shrub has kind of a woodsy vibe, and I thought it would be fun to pair it with woodsy plants that also like some sun.



A) Grevillea 'Long John' could be paired with plants that bring out its blue hues, such as B) Cupressus cashmeriana, D) Juniperus horizontalis 'BlueChip', and F) Nolina nelsonii, as well as green plants such as C) Arctostaphylos densiflora 'Howard McMinn' (which shares its bark color) and E) Ribes sanguineum (which brings a broader and more delicate leaf to the mix). Woodsy, sun-loving and I love the blue-green hues. I want to do this!

Details:
Biological Name: Grevillea 'Long John'
Common Name: NCN
Family: Proteaceae (Proteas)
Origin: Australia (Australasia)
Exposure: Full Sun to Light Shade
Irrigation: Low Water Needs
Flower Time: Spring
Height: 8-10’
Width: 8-12’

No comments:

Post a Comment