Wednesday, October 15, 2014

#4) Cussonia spicata

I've admired this plant for many years, and have thoughts several times how nice it could look in my garden. I love it's broad gray green leaves, with their complex geometric form.

I assumed it was a small or medium sized shrub, but as it turns out, it's a tree! In its native country (South Africa), it can get incredibly large, branching off into a candelabra shape. I'd imagine that it would take many decades for this to happen. Branches can also fall off older trees, and produce cone-like flower stalks.

For landscape purposes, I've only seen this tree with a single trunk, which doesn't initially appeal to me. But, after giving this a little more thought, A) Cussonia spicata can be used much like a palm tree... in groupings, with trees differing in height/ages. And, one could underplant with other South African plants, such as B) Zamia furfuracea, C) Melianthus major, and D) Aloe ferox. The trees could look especially appealing along both sides of a walk, or against a prominent wall.

Details:
Biological Name: Cussonia spicata
Common Name: Cabbage-tree
Family: Araliaceae (Ginsengs)
Origin: South Africa (Africa)
Exposure: Sun or Shade
Irrigation: Medium Water Needs
Flower Time: Spring/Summer
Height: 25-40’
Width: 15-30’

No comments:

Post a Comment